Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Happy Birthday, Henry...



Today is my middle guy's 4th birthday. That age is so strange for me because he is no longer a toddler, in my eyes, once he's past 3 but he is not a "big boy", either no matter how much he insists he is. Four is like the limbo of ages--not a toddler but not a school aged child, either. I know that makes no sense...I have a hard time explaining it to myself.

Henry is my special boy. It took him awhile to join our family, but when he did, he did with fireworks. His pregnancy and labor are things I will never forget about him. We had a difficult time concieving after Wyatt was born and finally after 16 months and 2 miscarriages, Henry was on his way. His pregnancy was pretty uneventful, but his labor!

I will never forget the day I went into labor with him. I had gone shooping with Debi, Spencer and Wyatt and spent the whole morning at Woodfield. I headed home about 1:30 and immediately the contractions started. I got home, put Wy down for a nap and laid down with a glass of water and the contractions didn't lessen. At 6:00, we decided to head for the hospital and got there about 7:15. They told me they were going to keep me and we then had to find someone to take Wyatt. We were finally able to get ahold of Heather and Justin. In the meantime, my doctor decided to break my bag before my Epidural was in place. Never, again. I turned into an evilina. Heather walked in with Wyatt to see how I was doing and the only thing I said was "Get him out of here." She and Justin promptly left. Luckily his labor and delivery were very quick and pretty easy once the meds kicked in. He arrived at 10:57 that night.

His first month with us was rough. The poor baby had reflux something fierce and it wasn't until we started giving him cereal in his bottle on the advice of the doctor, that things started to get better. He was like a different child. He has always been very independent and stubborn....simply feisty. He has a mind of his own and no one will tell him any differently. He sticks up for himself and like his brother has a strong sense of right and wrong.

Henry started school this year and it seems to be going well. We have our first conference next week and I'd be lying if I didn't say I wasn't nervous. It will be interesting to hear what an outsode perspective is of Henry and I'd be lying if I didn't say I wasn't a little defensive of him. I am afraid of him living in his brother's shadow and hate when people compare the two. Our families have a bad habit of doing this and I know that teachers have a tendency to do it, too, so I'm apprehensive. I'm sure everything will be fine. It always is.

Happy Birthday, my blonde, scrappy, little boy. No matter what you say, you ARE my baby and always will be. There are so many things I love about you besides what I listed above. I love how fiercely loyal you are to your family--you always stick up for anyone you feel is being wronged. I love how affectionate you are and how you love to cuddle. I love your independence. I love how your personality is like your dad's. I love and admire you and am grateful you finally came into my life.

2 comments:

Debi said...

Happy Birthday Henry...we love you too!!!

Debi said...

are you ever blogging again???