
When I was about 7 or 8, my mom bought my dad a bathrobe for Christmas. She had taken my sisters and I out shopping and we helped to pick it out. When my dad got home from work the day we bought it, my little sister, Heather, informed my him that we bought him a "bathroom" for Christmas. We all tried to shush her, but dad didn't hear her and asked her what she said. She repeated, "we bought you a bathroom for Christmas." My mom became upset and stomped upstairs leaving my other sister and I to explain to my dad what Heather was talking about and why mom was upset. It is still a story talked about in our family today.
Fast forward to Christmas 2006...Todd, my husband, took the boys to work with him Christmas Eve and to run some other errands to pick up presents for some family members. They came home and Henry comes inside and immediately says to me, "Mommy, we bought you a present." Wyatt tells him to shush and I look at Todd and he points at a gift he is holding for my sister and her DH and says, "he's talking about this" and points to the gift basket. Henry then says, "No, we bought you a present, Mommy." I then catch on that Todd did in fact get me a present, but I tell Henry, "I see the present you bought Henry. It's beautiful." At this point, Henry loses his patience and repeats again, "No, Mommy. We bought you a ring. For your finger." I look at Todd and start laughing and crying at the same time. I hug him as I ask him to please not be mad at the little guy who was just so excited about his present for me.
The moral of the story is to never tell an almost 4 year-old something to be kept a surprise unless you want your own "bathroom" moment. So, 25 years after the first one, I get to have my own to remember forever.
BTW, the ring...absolutely beautiful. It is a heart-shaped Garnet surrounded by Diamonds--the birthstones of the three kids. I will cherish it always. The second best part of the gift is that Todd won a promotion at the store, so, it was FREE!! Can you believe that?
1 comment:
well now I got on and I already told you my comment so...just HI
Post a Comment