Sunday, July 26, 2009

Up, Up, and Up...

We went on a hike today to a city called Alta. It is about an hour away from North Ogden and we were told that the trail to Secret (Cecret) Lake is unbelievable at this time of year because of all the wild flowers. It is supposed to be one of the easier trails, but I don't think I or the kids am ready for a more difficult one. Scratch that...Lauren and I aren't ready for the more difficult ones.LOL Wyatt was in his element climbing that mountain and Henry was doing his darndest to try to keep up. It was very steep at times and very slippery. We only had one incidence of someone falling so I consider it a success.

I am going to have to invest in some hiking shoes/Keens for these kids, though. Gym shoes and Crocs are fine for the Chain-O-Lakes. They won't cut it for the Wasatch Mountains.

The early part of the trail:

This pic shows kind-of how steep the trail was. It's not even the steepest part:

We made it!!:

I had to show this picture. It's of the kids standing on a snow bank on a part of the trail on the way down. A snow bank! At the end of July! Henry slipped on it and proclaimed, "Hey! That IS snow!":

2 comments:

Debi said...

hope it wasn't the momma that slipped. I agree that the kids and you all need hiking boots. It looks like it was a fun family outing

Kelly said...

You will love going up there. Remember that Alta has ski free after 3 every day. It's the BEST place to take the kids to learn to ski. The rental for the ski's after 3 is dirt cheap. I think the ONLY time you can't go is holiday weekends.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Alta.