
After 17 months of being on the market and 14 months of being vacant, our house in Illinois finally sold on Friday, September 10. It was a very long road filled with a broken dishwasher that flooded the house, a tree falling on our fence, worry every time that a storm came through that the basement would flood or the roof would leak, 7 offers and one failed deal. To say it was stressful is an understatement. Add to that, we were carrying 2 mortgage payments, so at times it made life unbearable. It was hard to tell the kids that we weren't able to have birthday parties for them, or that we couldn't go to certain places because they were too expensive, or that we couldn't order from Scholastic this (every) time. When we did go to things, it was because they were free. I mean, seriously! I camped 3 times this past year just to be able to take the kids on "trips" so that they could have some fun.
Selling the house is very bittersweet, though. I loved that house and there are so many things I will miss about it. The wood trim, the wood floors, my stove, the extra garage, the front porch, the rhododendron out front that bloomed every year at LC's birthday--especially that. We moved into that house and then 6 months later we were pregnant with Wyatt. We brought all three kids home to that house and spent 10 1/2 wonderful years there that were filled with love and laughter and tremendous growth. I am someone who believes that buildings have a "soul" of their own, per se, and I believe that we left some really good karma back at that house in Spring Grove.
It belongs to new people, though. I do take comfort in the fact that it was the same people whose deal fell through in April that came back in August, still wanting to buy it. We have been told by both our realtor and our lawyer that the wife of the couple broke down into tears at the closing because she was so happy that the sale finally went through; she loved the home that much. I am glad that someone bought my house that will love it there as much as I did.
So, good-bye Spring Grove, IL. Thank you for the wonderful memories.
4 comments:
I have known that home since college and was blessed to have lived there and help you with the kids. It was a second home to me and I am sad to see it go but so happy that you have found such a wonderful new place with which to make even happier memories. To the future!!
I am soooo happy that it is finally done. It was such a terrific house. I'm glad that the original couple that tried the 1st time, was able to buy it finally.
Kim
Selling a house is always bittersweet. There is true beauty in the knowledge that wherever a loving family is together is Home.
Annette
I got teary eyed reading that. While I was happy to leave our house in IL (even though it's still ours) it's the only home our three have every known. But, like you, I think we left a lot of happiness behind for the next people. So happy this journey is OVER for you.
Post a Comment