So today Wyatt got some early homework in the mail from his new teacher asking him to put 5 things in a paper bag that represents him and his family. We went through all the suggestions, i.e. a baseball, a picture of he and his siblings, a picture of him and the Russian Sailors and I suggested his Star Wars book. Wyatt immediately piped in that he can't bring that because Star Wars wasn't allowed anymore. He then got that look on his face that he gets when he is trying to control his emotions. I asked him if that upset him and he said, "yeah, it's not fair because ALL the boys get in trouble because one person can't play nice." I told him that I can understand how frustrating that is and that maybe this year would be different, all the while he is struggling to not cry. Obviously this is something that has been bothering him since last year and I am now only hearing about it. Did I not talk to him enough? Am I unapproachable? Or, is he going to be the type of person who keeps it bottled up until it bubbles over. I really think it is the latter and I just don't know how to get him to open up more.
Now, Henry...he is completely another story. Oy Vey, that kid doesn't stop talking.<3
That is the biggest challenge of parenting, I am coming to realize. Altering my styles to fit the different personalities that are my kids.
3 comments:
An interesting turn of events about Star wars...So did he put it in...I think I would have encouraged it because it is what he is about right now and he loves it. It is so hard when they start to grow before our eyes and mature and we don't quite see it catch it...
Hugs to my buddy....and to mom for trying to figure it all out.
I told him that was last year and that this new teacher probably won't have the same rule and that reading about Star Wars is completely different than playing it. So, yes it IS going in and his dad even bought him a new Star Wars book last night.
cool....cool dad too...if I do say myself
Post a Comment