So, the new Legos Indiana Jones video game came out and Wyatt wants it desperately. Two of his friends already have the game and he absolutely loves it and can't stop talking about it. Unfortunately, Christmas is a long ways away as is his birthday, with nothing in between.
Todd and I discussed it and we have decided that we are going to institute and allowance of sorts so that Wyatt can earn it instead of it just being handed to him. He is going to be doing extra chores around the house which in turn he will be paid. Things like checking and sorting the mail for me everyday, helping his dad with yardwork--which, on a 1 acre yard is a lot, cleaning the loft and organizing it the way it should be, drying the dishes and putting away the ones he can, and dusting the house for me. He had already earned $9 as of this morning and when I handed him a ten dollar bill, he pointed out to me that it was too much.<3 I told him that was o.k., to keep the extra dollar for being honest.
That boy makes me proud every day of his life.
6 comments:
He makes me proud too! I have tears in my eyes right now as I think about how old he is now and what a smart young man he has become...Good for you for teaching him such great responsibility!
I feel guilty about it. I was trying to convince Todd I should get it for him for having such a great report card. Todd said "no." I then tried to convince Todd we should cover half of it, since it is partially for me (*sheepish giggle*), Todd said "no." He thinks it's time for Wyatt to learn this lesson, and I agree but it's hard when all his friends just get it bought for them for no reason other than they asked for it. I feel like the mean Mom. But, he is really trying to earn it. He is coming up with all kinds of things to help us out around the house and yard himself.
But that is good! If he is coming up with reasons to help, then let him and maybe give it to him earlier than planned if he has been a huge help. Even though his friends get everything, it is such a good thing to teach him that he has to work for what he earns. Don't fall into the "keeping up with the Jones's kids" crap...You're kids are better off learning responsibility than never wanting for anything...
Good for him! Could you maybe do 1/2 for chores and then 1/4 for you (especially since you KNOW you want it as much as he does) and 1/4for the grades?? I personally think there's nothing wrong with rewarding good grades...especially if it's after they get them. I don't like the "this quarter i want you to do better so i'll pay you $10 for every A." I think my kids & yours are smart enough that they SHOULD get good grades. But i don't think there is anything wrong with rewarding hard work.
And just becuz i'm nosy & it's always a debate someplace...does he have other chores he has to do for no $$??
Like Heather said, don't bother trying to keep up with the friends...someone will always have SOMETHING they don't. And it will only get worse when they get older. Sarah's latest "must have"...a cell phone. Yeah she's 9, yeah she is never ALONE without a grown up, but 1 girl in her class has one (her parents are divorced...easy way for her to talk to the parent she's NOT with) my daughter thinks she needs one.
I only pay him for stuff that he does by himself. If the other two are around to help him, he doesn't get paid. Like the loft...room with tons of toys that was a disaster area. The other two usually aren't much of a help with it, so he did it by himself and I paid him $5. Yesterday, I paid him a dollar to clean up the living room because LC was down for a nap and Hank was out with his dad. Cleaning up his room and clearing the table are two things he doesn't get paid for, but if he were to help with the dishes, he'd get paid since it's a little bit extra.
I will admit that I have been bad about expecting the kids to help out much beyond cleaning up their own messes. I'm thinking this is a good way for them to learn how to help out.
OK so we have allowance in this house both boys...Spencer gets 6 (soon 7) a week and Griffin get 3 (soon to be 4) there are thing in the house that just have to be done and that is just part of being a family...putting dishes in the sink after a meal and taking care of your fish etc...things we all do as part of a family. However the emptying the dishwasher or bringing clothes to the laundry room on your day...those for us are extra things that they can get paid for. Current chores that are paid for are Toy room overhaul once a week both of them....for Spencer he has silverware to put away and cleaning his room daily and trash duty daily. He also has to put the garbage out on Wed and bring it in on Thursday. Griffin is a little different one because he is younger and two he has things he really needs to work on...he has putting the cups away and bringing the clothing to the stairs and no whining/potty words... like poopie...they love earning their allowance, we have a board that as they complete the chore daily they move a smile face to it. It is a Melissa and Doug board...We have had allowance for Spence since he was 5 and this is new for Griffin...ya know hey he gets allowance I want it too... We do have a caveat so to speak though of the 6 he gets to keep two save two and donate two. Same with Griffin. Money saving is much slower here to...but they get the concept and they are making the decision to earn allowance or not.
Your a good mommy for making him work for the game Deb..we can not hand our children things they will not learn and will come to expect it....think how much a better person he is because he knows the value of things.
As an aside...you know we don't have a gaming system in this house yet....Spencer is getting a Wii for his birthday...I know VERY extravagant...but his party is going to be low key and not too expensive. His brother is giving him the extra controller and that is it. We have been able to not cave into the well mom everyone has one..and they do all the neighbors and his school friends blah blah...we have had the system in the basement since February..I am very excited to play with him too, like you, and the fact that it is just down the stairs is killing me...
Never doubt your moves as a mom...you have good instincts and role models...
xoxo
Post a Comment