Thursday, April 5, 2007

Good friends and Good God...

Yesterday, LC, Henry and I went to my very, very good friend Andi's house for a playdate and to meet her new baby, Grace, who is only 7 weeks old. Mason and Henry played wonderfully together because of their common obsession with Star Wars and LC was happy playing with the baby stuff. I was a little worried about LC and the baby because she has never been around one before and she can be-oh, who am I kidding, she is--a mama's girl. As I was holding Gracie and trying to burp her, LC came over and started doing the same things to her I was doing--patting her back, rubbing her back, tapping her bum. Whatever I did, she did and she was soooo gentle. It struck me yesterday as it was happening, but I think I buried the feeling. Today it resurfaced, which brings us to the "Good God" moment.

I am sad that we are not going to have any more babies. Not because I want more, but because LC is the last one. She won't have a little sister. She won't get to be a big sister. I won't get to see her nurturing a baby like I saw Henry and Wyatt do. She is the baby of the family and it makes me sad to realize that and makes me second guess just a teensy bit the decision to be done. I know deep down that we are, but it still gives me little pangs at the strangest times. There is a light at the end of the tunnel that I can't deny, though. With LC getting older, we are feeling so much more freedom and making plans that we haven't been able to in 7 years, so it solidifies the decision. I am just disappointed for her, at times, that she won't have a sister.

Just some random thoughts.

2 comments:

d said...

welcome to my life...Rachel is only 10 months old and already i see newborns and ACHE. Becuz she's the baby. Becuz she won't ever be the big sister.

And Andi had a baby girl!! I've been meaning to ask!

Debi said...

Deb...someone has to be the last one..and you are right...she wont be a big sister but she is an awesome little sister who will be protected by her big brothers..the only one they will have to protect...and hey I am the only girl and I am thrilled not to have a sister remember...I know that is not common but maybe she will love being the last and the only girl...remember you PG's too.. not that I would not be thrilled to have another niece or nephew...remember you ability to produce lots of boys??what is the chance that you would have a girl too!!

Love ya...